The new chairman of the Iowa GOP has asked 17 people to serve on a committee to review the conduct of the 2012 Iowa Caucuses. See the news release below, with some notations from me regarding the 17 folks.
DES MOINES–The Republican Party of Iowa (RPI) State Central Committee today approved the formation of a 17-member Iowa Caucus Review Committee and confirmed Chairman A. J. Spiker’s nominees to the committee.
The committee will be chaired by RPI Co-Chair Bill Schickel. Iowa Secretary of State Deputy of Elections Mary Mosiman will serve as committee co-chair.
“My challenge to the committee is to bring back recommendations that will build upon the most open and transparent presidential preference process in the country,” Spiker said.
“The purpose of the committee is to conduct a full audit and review of the Republican Caucus,” said Schickel. “We’re going to review what went right and what went wrong. We will fix what went wrong and promote what went right.”
The committee will hold its first meeting at 10 A.M. Thursday, April 26 in Des Moines. Future meetings will be held in other communities across the state.
Committee members will be assigned to sub-committees on public relations, operations and training. A research subcommittee will gather data and background information for the committee.
The committee and each of the sub-committees will be asking for ideas and suggestions from experts and ordinary citizens alike throughout the state and nation, Schickel said.
“Although this will be a review of the Republican caucuses, we will be acting in consultation with our colleagues in the Democrat Party,” Schickel said. “Having open, honest and transparent caucuses is in the interest of all Iowans.”
The members of the Iowa Caucus Review Committee are:
• Chair Bill Schickel, Cerro Gordo County (former state legislator, former Mason City mayor)
• Co-Chair Mary Mosiman, Story County (former Story County Auditor, now heads elections division in Iowa Secretary of State’s office)
• Chad Olsen, Guthrie County (executive director of Iowa GOP)
• David Chung, Linn County (state central committee member)
• David Fischer, Polk County (key lieutenant in Ron Paul’s 2012 Iowa campaign)
• David Oman, Polk County (former chief of staff to Governor Branstad, former candidate for governor)
• Gwen Ecklund, Crawford County (chair of Crawford County GOP)
• Judy Davidson, Scott County (chair of Scott County GOP)
*Kathy Pearson, Linn County (former chair of Iowa Federation of Republican Women)
• Kim Lehman, Polk County (Iowa’s National Committeewoman on the RNC)
• Randy Erickson, Buena Vista County (Buena Vista County chair)
• Rev. Jamie Johnson, Webster County (key person in Rick Santorum’s 2012 Iowa campaign)
• Richard Schwarm, Winnebago County (former Iowa GOP chair, former law partner of Governor Terry Branstad)
• Sen. Nancy Boettger, Shelby County (active in party politics; has attended several national conventions)
• Steve Grubbs, Scott County (former Iowa GOP chair, former state rep., ran Herman Cain’s Iowa 2012 Iowa campaign ’til it ended, former US senate candidate)
• Steve Scheffler, Polk County (head of Iowa Faith & Freedom Coalition; Iowa’s National Committeeman on the RNC)
• Wes Enos, Polk County (worked on Michele Bachmann’s 2012 Iowa campaign; member of state central committee)